A Park Above
A Park Above was constructed to universal design standards to be more “usable” for everyone. The goal of the park design is to create an inclusive social play environment. For more information about universal design, please click here
Check out this amazing You Tube video highlighting all of the great amenities at: A Park Above
A Park Above has state of the art amenities that encourage interaction, inclusion, and growth.
- Inclusive and accessible play equipment
- Pedestrian path and loop trail
- Play/activity areas with perimeter fencing and special surfacing
- Hill feature with ADA-compliant ramp
- Sport/basketball court area
- Splash pad ((Open daily 10:00 a.m to 6:00 p.m. from Memorial Day to Labor Day)
- Shade structures
- Bathroom facilities with changing tables
- Outdoor musical instruments
- Adaptive swings/wheelchair swings
- Dog Park
- Labyrinth walking path
- Bocce court
- Outdoor exercise equipment
- Lawn area
- Area with picnic tables
Wheelchair swings are available, but require the assistance of trained staff. If staff is not available at A Park Above please call 505-994-6338 for assistance. Please do not attempt to enter or exit the wheelchair swing without assistance from one of our volunteers or City of Rio Rancho staff members.
Rules & Guidelines
Please help us to keep A Park Above beautiful and safe. We kindly ask that all guests abide by the following rules and guidelines:
- No dogs are allowed, except for service dogs
- No food or drink allowed on artificial turf areas of the park
- No jumpers (inflatable’s)
- No littering
- No bicycle, skateboard or scooter riding inside of the park
- Barbecue grills and open fires are not allowed
- No generators
Are Dogs Allowed?
We love dogs, but other than service dogs, we kindly ask that you not bring your dogs inside of the play zones. There is an off leash dog area located on the west side of A Park Above that you are more than welcome to take your dogs to. The dog area has shade, water, benches, as well as a separate area for special needs dogs.
Birthday Parties or Celebrations
We love seeing families using the Park Above as a place for celebrations! All parties or celebrations are on a ‘First-Come First-Served’ method which allow patrons hosting celebrations the opportunity to use any of the picnic tables throughout the park at no cost. Reservations and/or fees are not required. Each of the picnic tables throughout the park will comfortably seat 6 people and are wheelchair-friendly.
We emphatically ask that you follow a few rules when using A Park Above as a place for celebration:
- Do not reserve or save tables prior to one hour before your party. Please limit your party to 2 hours if others are waiting to use the picnic tables.
- Please keep your food and drinks confined to the picnic table areas and do not take food or drinks onto the artificial turf.
- Please clean up after yourselves. There is a dumpster on the west side of the park if the trash receptacles in the picnic pavilion become too full. Make sure you remove all of your decorations upon the conclusion of your party.
- No grills, grilling, silly string, water-balloons, piñatas or inflatable jumps. These items are prohibited.
- No alcohol or smoking is allowed in the park.
Thank you for your interest in bringing your group or classroom to A Park Above. A Park Above welcomes teachers and group leaders to bring classrooms to the park.
A Park Above offers dozens of activities that enable students to be actively engaged in learning while playing at the same time.
Guests are allowed to bring outside food and drinks. The “Chismar Picnic Pavilion” is provided for your group to enjoy lunch at your convenience.
Site Plan Design Rendering
View Site Plan Design Rendering (searchable PDF)
View Video (on YouTube) a brief video about the A Park Above, which was created and donated by Edit House Productions.
Volunteers work closely with the city staff to assist with programs, maintenance, clean up days, plant care, programs, special events, and much more. To inquire about volunteer opportunities please call 505-891-5015 or send an email.
Reading the PDF documents provided on this site requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader, available for free from Adobe.