License Transfer from Another State

You are required to obtain a NM license upon becoming a resident and before accepting employment for compensation by another for the purpose of driving a motor vehicle (SS 66-5-4)
  • License issued in other state – must be current.
    If the license has expired in excess one (1) year, primary and secondary identification (see acceptable documents list) and written exam is required.
    If license is expired for five (5) or more years, both road and written exams are required.
  • Secondary ID (preferably your Social Security Card)
    see acceptable documents list
  • Two (2) documents to prove residency (see acceptable documents list)
Your driver’s license will be transferred to a comparable class of NM license.