Vehicle Titling and Registration

Registering and titling your vehicle in New Mexico

You will need to bring the following documentation to the Motor Vehicle Division:
  • Valid identification such as a valid driver’s license, birth certificate or passport.
  • Your certificate of title; if held by a lien holder, you will need the lien-holder’s name and address to request the title.If possible, obtain the lien-holder’s fax number to help expedite the process. All vehicles incoming from out-of-state are required:
    • Certified Vehicle inspection - Rio Rancho MVD will only process the VIN Inspection on the vehicle if the title is in our possession, sent to us by the lienholder or dealer.If you are holding your own title, you must visit a state MVD office for the inspection.
    • NCIC Clearance


  • If new to the state you also need two (2) documents to prove your residency in NM.(see acceptable documents list)
Bernalillo county residents are subject to emissions control.For exceptions, contact the Vehicle Pollution Management Division at 505/247-2273

Emissions Inspection Test

Residents of Bernalillo County must provide proof that the vehicle has passed an emissions inspection test.These tests are available throughout Bernalillo county at certified "Air Care" stations.For more information about emissions testing, contact the Vehicle Pollution Management Division, 1500 Broadway NE, Albuquerque, NM 87102; (505) 247-2273.

Out-of-State Vehicles and Emissions Testing

You must complete the required "Affidavit of Vehicle Unavailability for Inspection” and complete all required MVD documents and submit all documents to Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Vehicle Pollution Management Program. They approve the waiver and forward your registration payment and forms to MVD.You must submit your waiver form prior to the 10th of the month to allow for processing time.

Registration Fees

The registration fees for a vehicle are based on the year model and weight.For information on fee calculation for trailers, or commercial vehicles, call the MVD customer service center at 1-888-683-4636 (1-888-MVD-INFO). Permanent registration is available for utility and travel trailers weighing less than 6,000 pounds.

Insurance Requirements

All vehicles operating on the roadways of NM must meet the minimum NM Insurance requirements of 25/50/10.The first amount is bodily injury or death of one (1) person in any one accident, the second amount is bodily injury or death of two (2) or more persons in any one accident and the third amount is for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident.

Out-of-state policies must meet the minimum NM insurance requirements. You will need to bring in the declaration page of your policy showing your coverage in detail.