Rio Rancho Animal Resource Center
Hours of Operation
Monday--Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday--Saturday: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by appointment (see below)
*The Kennel is closed on October 24 and October 25, 2020*
The Rio Rancho Animal Resource Center (RRARC) is CLOSED Sunday and all City holidays.
To see what pets are available for adoption, view our Adoption Center.
Pets in Rio Rancho
Find out what requirements and laws there are regarding animals by viewing our City Pet Regulations.
New Policies Aimed at Focusing the Animal Resource Center's Efforts Amidst COVID-19 PandemicThe Rio Rancho Animal Resource Center (ARC) is taking preventative measures to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus and will take the following steps until further notice:
- Only adopters and guests with an appointment will be allowed to enter the building.
- The number of guests allowed in our building at one time will be limited to two (2) people. Depending on the number of people already in our facility, you may be asked to wait outside. As other guests exit the building, you may enter.
- The Animal Resource Center is asking citizens to NOT surrender healthy pets to reduce shelter intake
- The Animal Resource Center will temporarily suspend appointments for euthanasia. Please reach out to local vets for euthanasia services.
- Hours of operations are Monday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Please arrive no sooner than your appointment time, knock on the facility door and wait for staff to escort you into the facility. Limit your party to two (2) people. Please view animals on our Facebook page or on Pet Finder before arriving.
- If you or members of your household have symptoms of illness, please do not visit the Animal Resource Center.
APPOINTMENTS FOR VISITATION
Thank you for wishing to visit the City of Rio Rancho Animal Resource Center (ARC). In an effort to continue our mission to save animal lives and also comply with social distancing recommendations, we’re taking appointments for visitation. We encourage those considering adoption to first view our available cats and dogs on Pet Finder or our Facebook page and then call (505) 891-5075 to schedule an adoption appointment.
STRAYS AND ANIMALS RUNNING AT LARGE
Beginning April 1, 2020, the Animal Resource Center will only accept emergency intake of stray animals without an appointment, meaning animals in need of medical treatment because they are sick or injured and animals that may pose a risk to public safety. Our office will be open for emergency intake of stray animals from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Animal Resource Officers will continue operations to address public safety concerns.
Individuals who find a stray pet that does not meet the emergency criteria are encouraged to do the following:
- Maintain custody of the pet and look for its owner
- Have stray pets scanned for a microchip at a local veterinary clinic or ARC
- Promote lost and found pets on the following Facebook pages: Lost and Found Pets and Rio Rancho Animal Friends
The Animal Resource Center will be accepting non-emergency stray pets Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., by appointment only. Anyone who finds a stray pet should contact (505) 891-5075 to schedule an appointment.
The Animal Resource Center is encouraging people not to surrender healthy pets, following the guidance provided by the National Animal Care & Control Association (NACA). NACA is advising animal shelters to take extra measures to reduce shelter intake to mitigate the short- and long-term effects of COVID-19.
Owners of animals who want to surrender their pet to the shelter are being asked to wait until pandemic concerns subside, unless it’s an absolute emergency.
The Animal Resource Center will not be offering or scheduling euthanasia appointments at this time.
ENHANCED CLEANING PROCEDURES
The Animal Resource Center is also implementing enhanced cleaning procedures to maximize the safety of the public as well as that of employees and animals.
Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding in these uncertain times. The City of Rio Rancho will continue to evaluate the situation and make changes to our operations as needed.