Rio Rancho Public Schools and the Rio Rancho Police Department would like to remind parents, high school students and motorists to take extra precaution when traveling in school zones.
When schools are in session, many children walk or ride their bicycles to and from school – many of them during the busiest time of the day when motorists are traveling to work or home after a tiring day. In addition, we have a number of parents who are dropping off or picking students up from school.
Dr. Cleveland, Superintendent of Schools stated, "We are looking forward to a great start to the school year and appreciate everyone's efforts in keeping our students safe. We ask for our parents help and urge them to use extra care and caution in school zones. Please plan for additional time in dropping off or picking up your students the first week of school as schools work through new traffic patterns and schedules. Also, we want to thank the Rio Rancho Police Department as they help monitor and provide assistance during these busy times."
Rio Rancho Police Department has been and will continue to monitor school zones and issue citations as needed. Rio Rancho Public Schools security and school staff will continue to evaluate and ensure drop-off and pick-up processes run efficiently and timely. In addition, if traffic issues continue to raise concerns, Rio Rancho Public Schools will consider additional speed humps, photo radar or video monitoring in school zones, and even revoking parking passes of students who drive carelessly.
“It is important to the safety of our children for motorists to exercise extreme caution when driving through school zones not just during the first week of school, but every day school is in session,” said Rio Rancho Mayor Gregg Hull.
Rio Rancho Public Schools and the Rio Rancho Police Department are urging motorists, parents and students to observe the following:
- Slow down. Observe the speed limit in school zones at all times. Be aware of all stop signs in front of and around schools. Drivers must come to a complete stop and proceed with caution, looking out for pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Be especially careful when driving on neighborhood streets and around school zones. Always expect the unexpected. Observe all traffic laws.
- Motorists and parents need to pay attention to parking regulations in and adjacent to school facilities. Be aware of “no parking” signs, red zones, fire hydrants, crosswalks, driveways and double parking.
- Be mindful of crosswalks. Do not stop/park in crosswalks and do not proceed through when pedestrians have entered a crosswalk.
- Watch for children on bicycles, especially at intersections.
- Stop your car when you see lights flashing on a school bus. Red flashing lights indicate that the bus is stopped and students are getting on or off. Don't start driving until the red lights stop flashing. Be aware that a child may dash across the street.
- School districts are tasked to make and enforce rules at each campus to ensure the safety of the students and staff. Follow the school rules if you are dropping off or picking your child up at school.
- Please concentrate on driving, not mobile devices or other distractions.
Please be a courteous driver.