City of Rio Rancho Building Division
The City Building Division contact information:
- Telephone: (505) 891-5006
- Fax: (505) 896-8994
- Email: Permits@rrnm.gov OR Solar@rrnm.gov OR Inspection@rrnm.gov
Permit applications and plan submittals
- All applications and plans should be submitted via email to Click2Gov OR Permits@rrnm.gov. Click here for applications for permits.
- Large sets of plans may be submitted by digital ‘Dropbox’ account.
- Once a permit is submitted, the applicant will be notified of any required payment of fees. In accordance with procedures of the City’s Finance Department, the applicant will be responsible for payment of fees associated with plan review process. It is the applicant’s responsibility to notify the Building Division that payment has been made. Payments can be made online at Click2Gov.
- Following any required payment, the Building Division will process the application and email to the applicant any required corrections or a statement of approval.
- If the application is approved, the Building Division will notify the applicant of such approval along with the required payment of fees necessary for the permit to be issued. Payments can be made online at Click2Gov.
Business license or registration applications should be submitted through the City Clerk's page at: rrnm.gov/409/Business-LicenceRegistration-Instruction.
After the issuance of a permit, construction may begin on the project. During this phase of development, inspections are required not only to ensure compliance with the City's ordinance and codes but also to ensure the project is being performed in a safe manner.
We provide the below information regarding residential projects to explain the various types of inspections that are conducted and for what purpose. In addition, all work must be in compliance with the State of New Mexico Building Code, Uniform Building Code (UBC), National Electrical Code (NEC), Uniform Mechanical Code (UMC) and Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) and all other state standards.
When Ready for an Inspection
It is the responsibility of the permittee performing the work to notify the Building Inspection Division that such work is ready for inspection. Such requests can be made through Click2Gov, via email at Inspection@rrnm.gov, or by leaving a message at (505) 891-5006.
The City of Rio Rancho requires that a complete set of approved drawings for the construction project be present for the appropriate inspectors while the inspection is being conducted. It is further required that the notice sheet be posted at the job site allowing the inspectors to make the required entries thereon regarding inspection of the work. The notice sheet shall be maintained at the job site for the duration of the project. Upon completion of the project and an approved final inspection, the inspector shall bring the notice sheet into the office allowing for the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy within twenty-four hours of the final inspection.